What’re you supposed to do when your toilet doesn’t flush, your shower starts spewing black sludge, and the sink stops working altogether? If you’re like most people, you presumably panic and start frantically calling plumbers. You may not discover that many of these plumbing disasters could be avoided with a little bit of regular maintenance.
In this blog post, Daigle Plumbing, Heating & Cooling will teach you how to care for your home’s plumbing system properly and what happens when you ignore it so that you can avoid costly and messy sewage backups.
Sewage Backup: What Is It?
Look, before we convey the nitty-gritty of this blog post, we first want to answer the question: what is sewage backup? In short, it’s when wastewater starts flowing back into your home through the drains. This can happen for numerous reasons, usually due to blockages in the sewer line or a break in the pipe. When this happens, all of that dirty water and waste start flowing into your home, which, as you can imagine, creates quite a mess.
How To Keep Your Plumbing System In Top Condition?
Now let’s dive into how you all can avoid it. An ideal way to do this is by taking care of your plumbing system and ensuring everything is running smoothly. Here’re a few tips on how to do just that:
- Firstly, never pour grease or oil down the drain. It may seem like it goes down easily enough, but it eventually hardens and clogs the pipe.
- Secondly, only flush biodegradable waste and toilet paper down the toilet. Sanitary items, nappies/diapers, and other such things should never be flushed as they will cause blockages.
- Thirdly, have your drains cleaned regularly. This will help to eliminate any build-up of grease, hair, and other debris that could cause a blockage.
- Finally, if you have a blockage, don’t try fixing it yourself. Call a professional plumber to take care of it for you.
Consequences Of Mistreating Your Home’s Plumbing
All right, we’ve gone over how to take care of your home’s plumbing properly. But what happens if you don’t? What are the consequences of mistreating your home’s plumbing?
- The first consequence is costly repairs. If you neglect your plumbing and it breaks, you will have to pay for expensive repairs. This is quite true if the damage is severe.
- The second consequence is flooding. If a pipe bursts, you’re going to have water everywhere. That can cause significant damage to your home and belongings.
- The third consequence is sewage backup. This is when sewage from your toilet or drain backs up into your home. It’s gross, smells bad, and can harm your health.
- The fourth consequence is property damage. If your home floods or has sewage backup, it can cause serious damage to your property. This includes mold and mildew growth, wood rot, and more.
- The fifth consequence is health problems. Floodwaters and sewage can contain harmful bacteria and viruses that can make you sick.
So, there you have it. These are the consequences of mistreating your home’s plumbing. To avoid them, you must take good care of your plumbing system. Otherwise, you’ll obviously end up paying for it in the long run.
Looking For Plumbing Services In Londonderry? We Can Help.
Daigle Plumbing, Heating & Cooling serving Londonderry offers a wide range of plumbing services. We can help you with everything from mending a leaky spout to repairing a broken pipe. We also offer HVAC services for residential and commercial customers.